1. Sign up to automatically join my mailing list.
  2. Have you seen Gamers Core? Currently in pre-launch!
  3. I run one of the largest gaming / esports radios (and easily the best!) - why not take a listen?
  4. I have a private discord, click here to join it.

Video as Background on MacOS

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Chris, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

Before continuing, there is nothing here that should cause issues for you or your computer however I am not aware how it may work for other people, I imagine there’d be no issues but be cautious if you’re unfamiliar with Terminal.

If you don’t already have a video to use for your desktop background, it may be worth looking at the Apple TV screensavers.

Save the video’s somewhere permanent that you’ll remember, for example mine are saved like so /User/Movies/Apple/dubai_night_1.mov

In order to set a video as your screensaver (or background, in this case) – you will need to download and set SaveHollywood as your screensaver with the videos you wish to use.

Then, put the following two scripts in a folder in /Library/Scripts/ – I called the folder Background Video for convenience.

start.sh
    #!/bin/bash
    nohup /System/Library/Frameworks/ScreenSaver.framework/Resources/ScreenSaverEngine.app/Contents/MacOS/ScreenSaverEngine -background &​

stop.sh
    #!/bin/bash
    killall ScreenSaverEngine​

If you haven’t already, you will need to set your Terminal profile to close when Shell exits and set .sh files

Optionally, you can download FastScripts and set it to start up with your computer if you’d like to be able to turn this on and off easily.